SynCTI’s Commitment to Safety
The NUS Synthetic Biology for Clinical and Technological Innovation is committed to the safety and health of every person working at SynCTI,. Occupational Health and Safety, located in the CeLS building, has the ultimate goal of providing a safe working and learning environment for all.
The NUS SynCTI has a commitment to safety
The NUS Synthetic Biology for Clinical and Technological Innovation (SynCTI) aims to promote, maintain, and provide a safe and healthy working environment that is conducive for research and collaboration and upholding the highest standards of occupational safety and health. The following policy statements demonstrate our commitment to excellence in workplace safety and health:
- Mandatory Safety Training
- All SynCTI occupants shall undergo appropriate and adequate training, including on the job supervision to ensure their competency in the workplace.
- Legal Compliance
- SynCTI is committed to take all reasonable efforts and measures to achieve and maintain compliance with the applicable national Safety and Health legislations, NUS Safety and Health policy, directives, and good practices.
- Management System (SMS)
- SynCTI has excellent measures in place to follow good practices and is committed to meticulously review and update its Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Risk Assessments to have high internal standards of safety. Risks are kept to an acceptable level and measures are put in place to contain and mitigate risks that cannot be eliminated.
- Prevention of Ill Health and Injury
- The program shall provide the necessary resources to identify workplace hazards, assessment of risk and determination of control measures to prevent workplace ill health and injury.
- Every occupant of the program has a role to play in ensuring that the safety policy is successfully implemented. Principal Investigators and other senior staff are responsible for ensuring that those working under their supervision are adequately trained and supervised and that contractors, vendors and visitors are briefed on safety matters. All SynCTI personnel have signed a safety declaration to uphold highest standards for work place practices.
- Continual Improvement
- SynCTI strives to continually measure and improves its safety and health performance through its Safety Management System (SMS). Regular reviews of the SMS and standards will be conducted to ensure that they are current and in compliance with all applicable regulations.